Our History: The First 100 years
It is impossible to improve the future without a knowledge of the past...A group which does not know itself and what is has been lacks power to climb beyond its present level.
Judson B. Allen
The first church building was built from lumber and the labor was provided by
its members. The construction began in 1881 and was complete in 1882. Unfortunately
the book containing the first records were lost so a full history of the church
cannot be given. About November 1880 a little band of seventeen men and women met
and orgainized themselves into a church, the presbytery being composed of the following
bretheren: Rev. Jno. G. Landrum, Rev. J. Thomas Earle, and
Rev. J.L. Vass. Having no house they worshipped a while at M.E. church and
later at the school house.
The church was admitted into the Spartanburg Association in 1881 with Rev. J.L. Vass as pastor, Brethern Fielding Cantrell, Jos. Wall and L.M. Lanford being deacons. Bro. Lanford was also the first clerk. In the latter part of 1881 steps were taken to erect a church building and in 1882 the present house of worship was completed.The church property, consisting of the present church and lot, parsonage and lot is valued at $1,800.00. The parsonage and lot was donated to the church by Bro. Fielding Cantrell. The church has been greatly blessed and has had several large engatherings of new members during revivals, especially in the years 1896, 1905, and 1909, the preaching being done, respectively, by Revs. J.D. Huggins, J.R. Williams, and I.S. Boyles, and at the close of the last named revival there wereforty-five candidates for baptism.
-H.P. Wheeler 1913 North Spartanburg Baptist Association Meeting
**Portions taken from the minutes of the meeting. Original can be found at the Furman University Library, South Carolina Historical Collection.
- Church History - 1910's
- Church History - 1920's
- Church History - 1930's
- Church History - 1940's
- Church History - 1950's
- Church History - 1960's
- Church History - 1970's
- Church History - 1980's
A walk through the first 100
- January 1911- Vote passes to have two services a month with confrences being held after the preaching services once a month.
- June 1911- Rev. C.T. Scaife resigns and Rev. J.T. Moore is called as pastor.
- July 1911- The Parsonage Committee recommends the old Parsonage be torn away and a new one built.
- December 1912- Rev. J.T. Moore resigned and Bro. D.H. Owings was called as pastor.
- During this period of the church history there was an active discipline committee. If members were considered unworthy by this committee, because of non-attendance and indifference, forgery and desertion, and intoxication and fornication, they were excluded from the Church.
- 1913- During this year discussions began about building a new Church where the old one stood.
- December 1914- The number of deacons was increased to 6.
- 1916- There was little money for building to be done to the Parsonage. The Deacons were asked to see delinquent members and the Church Roll was revised.
- April 22 1917- Letter for Rev. and Sister D.H. Owings were granted and the money was rasied to pay the Pastor's salary in full.
- September 30, 1917- Rev. and Sister Stoudemire were received into the Church by letter from Buffalo Baptist Church. Rev. Stoudemire gave the Church a plan of re-organization and enlisted more members in Church work. Discussion was also opened to build a garage at the Parsonage which was complete in 1916.
- December 23, 1917- Rev. Stoudmire's resignation was accepted and $86.75 was raised to pay the balance due to the pastor.
- Early 1918- Pastor Dr. Langston and Rev. A.P. Jones fill in while the church did not have a pastor.
- June 30, 1918- Rev. O.L. Orr preached a trial sermon and was called as pastor next week.
- August 24, 1918- Voluntary subscription to be given every Sunday to help pay for the Pastors salary and Church expenses adopted. (The beginning of contributing every Sunday)
- January 24, 1919- Confrence held and deacons advised that a new Church building be constructed due to the poor shape of the current building.
- August 1921- Church accepts the resignation of Rev. O.L. Orr and elects Rev. E.F. Hardin as pastor.
- January 1922- The first deaconesses were elected by our church. The deaconesses were: Mrs. Lou Monk, Mrs. Jane Reid, Mrs. Lenna Mayry, Mrs. Ella Jackson, Miss Monzelle Wheeler and Miss Iris Coggins. The minutes do not state their duties, but is assumed they worked along with the deacons in carrying on the business of the church.
- May 1922- The confrence covered shifting the Church's debt from the deacons to the Church members, and as a part of this plan 500 cards were printed to notify members of their duty as to financial obligation.
- December 1922- Church voted to change the number of years deacons served from 6 to 3 years. Both deacons and deaconesses were elected during this time. Under the leadership of Rev. E.F. Hardin, we had deaconesses for the only time in our church history.
- Early 1923- Church votes to buy $1500.00 shares in B. & L. to pay for completing the church and buy new seats. Rev. E.F. Hardin leaves the church.
- July 15, 1923- Rev. W.Y. Henderson joins our church as pastor.
- January 27, 1924- Confrence held and the recommendation that we hold four business meetings a year to be held on Wednesday night after the first Sunday in the last month of each quarter is adopted.
- June 3, 1924- Bro. W.E. Jackson reports that the heating and seating comittee recommends that the church be heated by steam. Also Bros. T.B. Waldrop offered his land for parking space until he had use for it. They decided not to heat the church by steam, but bought a stove for $83.00.
- September 1925- A piano is secured for $325. Also during this confrence the pastor interviewed several young men as to their connection with taking and receiving goods belonging to one of the stores in town. He stated that each one had confessed to their wrong doing and that each one stated for himself that he had prayed for forgiveness and felt that their petition had been granted by the Lord and that they asked the same mercy at the hands of the church. On the motion and the second the church voted to retain fellowship and forgive them all. At this time the church had approximately 340 members.
- March 14, 1926- A confrence was held and the board of the deacons made a motion to reconsider the question of granting a letter to a member on the ground that he had failed to support the church with his presence and his means and also his obligations at the bank. The letter was refused and the Church Clerk was instructed to so inform him.
- 1927- This was a year of discipline. Six members were forgiven for being intoxicated upon a satisfactory statement made by them to the Board of Deacons. One member was forgiven the charge of fornication upon a written statement received from him confessing his guilt and asking the church's forgiveness. One was forgiven for having personal difficulty and two for fighting.
- April 22, 1928- The Church decided to complete the church building at a probable cost of $200.00, but that we arrange to finance the work first.
- July 14, 1929- The Church decided to build a baptismal pool between the church and the parsonage.
- March 11, 1934- The resignation of Rev. W.Y. Henderson as pastor was accepted.
- June 10, 1934- The Pulpit Committee recommends that the church employ Rev. Ned Taylor as supply pastor until we can make arrangements for a pastor and that we pay him $15 a week for his services.
- October 14, 1934- The Board of Deacons submitted the name of Rev. C.E. Puette of Swansea, SC for pastor. Rev. C.E. Puette would begin his ministry at the beginning of the new year 1935.
- February 10, 1935- The Church decided to have preaching services the first and third Sunday nights instead of the second and fourth Sunday nights. Also, agreed to observe the Lord's Supper every fifth Sunday at 11:00 AM.
- September 22, 1936- Perhaps the first recorded "Work Day", the church decided to meet on Thursday morning at eight o'clock to clean off church grounds and cemetery.
- February 14, 1937- The Church decided to let the Federal Government use the room in the basement as a sewing room. On motion, we agreed to place locks on the outside of the church and parsonage and insure the church.
- July 1937- Confrence was held and the recommendation was made that we ask the local filling stations and other places of business to close their places of business during the hours of Sunday Services and that they be notified of this action.
- November 9, 1941- Rev. C.E. Puette tendered his resignation as pastor to take effect January 1, 1942.
- December 14, 1941- Board of Deacons recommend the church call Rev. H.W. Granger to by our pastor. The vote passed, but Bro. Granger did not accept. The Board of Deacons recommended that Dr. E.E. Bomar continue to be used as supply pastor and we have four morning services instead of two night and two morning services each month until a pastor was found.
- May 1, 1942- Rev. C.M. Warren is called as pastor however on March 22, a letter stating Rev. C.M. Warren declined to accept the position.
- May 31, 1942- Rev. G.E. Walker was called as pastor and Dr. E.E. Bomar completed his services as supply pastor on July 26th.
- April 9, 1944- Rev. George E. Walker offered his resignation as pastor to become effective May 21, 1944.
- June 11, 1944- A vote passes stating that the next pastor called would be full time.
- July 9, 1944- Rev. M.L. Smith called to be full time pastor of Campobello First Baptist at a salary of $1800.00 per year.
- May 13, 1945- A motion was made and carried that the Church sponsor a Vacation Bible School.
- September 2, 1945- Our first recorded Homecoming Day was held.
- May 5, 1946- Rev. M.L. Smith read his resignation which be effective June 30, 1946.
- July 14, 1946- Rev. Charles E. Hood was elected pastor.
- February 1, 1948- The deacons recommended that the church use five dollars per month out of the 40% book purchasing fund for a church library. The chuch library would be sponsored by the B.T.U.
- March 5, 1950- The church was called into conference and the deacons recommended purchasing a mimeograph machine for about $150.00.
- November 1950- Rev. C.E. Hood resigned as pastor and Dr. Parks Anderson was interim pastor for a period of time.
- May 6, 1951- The public school was granted permission to use the Church building for graduating exercises on May 20 and 22.
- August 5, 1951- Pulpit Committee recommends Rev. J. Tillman Lake as pastor and the vote passes.
- August 1, 1954- Mr. Carl Lanford becomes our churchs first paid Choir Director
- April 3, 1955- Rev. J. Tillman Lake enters his resignation.
- November 6, 1955- Rev. Leon M. Gambrell is called as our pastor.
- February 5, 1957- A letter of resignation was read from Rev. Leon M. Gambrell
- April 7, 1957- Rev. J. Ray Batson is called as our pastor.
- January 5, 1958-A motion was made and carried that a church buy 150 Baptist hymnals with the name of the church imprinted on them to replace the Broadman Hymnals.
- May 31, 1959- Carl Lanford resigned as our Music Director effective June 7, 1959.
- January 14, 1962- Rev. J. Ray Batson gave his resignation effective February 14, 1962.
- February 18, 1962- The church voted to purchase a new memeograph machine and typewriter for $413.76
- March 4, 1962- The Church called Rev. Robert G. Fisher as pastor to begin on April 1, 1962.
- September 9, 1962- The church discussed borrowing $11,000 to install an air conditioner and correct issues with the current heating system.
- September 12, 1976- Information was provided for adding a wing on the left side of the church that would cost between $100,000 and $150,000 depending on the number of stories and equipment.
- February 20, 1977- Rev. R.G. Fisher announces his plans to retire July 1, 1977.
- August 14, 1977- Rev. Larry Thompson begins his service at FBC Campobello.
- April 29, 1979- A confrence was held discussing the plan to borrow $300,000 to construct a family life center and this was voted on and passed.
- September 7, 1980- Gene Vanderford was named interim Choir Director.
- November 9, 1980- The Centennial Homecoming was celebrated on this day.